Progress on the FLOAT ALMANAC project.


I’ve done the bulk of the figures and smoothing out. Next is edges and corners, then all the details of the rest of the pictures.  Difficult design work as it has to be seen clearly from a distance, and maybe printed. Each panel is about 50x200mm. Winter and spring to come, and yes it’s difficult to photograph.

I’ve moved back to the drill because I don’t have the skill level to do it properly on a lathe, at this stage. Also moving clear intaglio work after many years of colour flashed and cameo reliefs is proving tricky. Have to say I love it, clear being my first love.


Individually they are quite different. They do have enough in common to come together, and there is a sting common to all, but I’m keeping that to myself.



Stone again


Fun again on the stone. Trouble getting it on with the glass lathe, trying to translate a two dimensional image using mass instead of line. Moved to an easier three dimensional object, also to help simplify or abstract the figure.

Siltstone from Mt Speed, Trafalgar. Easy to cut with an angle grinder, and diamond cups. Available Bunnings. Ready for filing and sanding. Called it “Intransigence”



Experiments using float glass. Quite a distraction I didn’t need to have. I occasionally get the urge to try something that may fit in easier locally. That means cheap enough for a market, and with some romantic Joseph Beuys type of story. Wrong on both counts. Market buyers buy from friends not for the piece, and the story depends on creating a coterie of friends. I’m not that type of person, and the necessary networking doesn’t suit my personality.  Maybe I’m on the fashionable autism spectrum.


Testing temperatures. Too low at fusing, too fast for slumping.


Second.  Clear side up at fuse, tin side up at slump created that aweful scum look.  Getting the low frequency UV light maybe a major hassle. Do I really want to stuff around with this.


Playing with metallic garden sprays etc to stain after sandblasting.  Found a supplier of metal treatments available that may work. Seems like I’m trying to reinvent the wheel.


This is what I’ve done for my front yard decorations this year. The appalling state of life for children in particular is beyond comprehension, and far too complex to understand.       Apart from baying at the moon there seems so little an individual can do, but acceptance is not really an option. Our governments can bomb who ever while their constituents are compliant. Artists have a responsibility as reporters of the human condition.


I have photographed the steps taken to sandblast the glass pieces. 1.06 x .60 m.  Wooden pine frames were stained with artists oil paint and gum turps. It is screwed to star posts driven into the ground. Glass dove is cut with a wet air polisher and diamond pads.



This slideshow requires JavaScript.



SAT 8 & MON.    10  OCT.  10 to 5 .    If you’re car pooling from a distance call me about Sunday if  you like.

13 CHERRY PLACE.  SALE.            04099 951634

Some samples of the works I do , techniques not usually done in Australia. Equipment will be on display and explanations available for anyone interested.


GRAAL Blown by Philip Stokes.




FLASHED Blown by Philip Stokes.


What happens in my front yard.

That nutter on the corner is at it again, as the neighbours say. I made an angel out of fruit tree prunings, last year it was a Halloween witch. Thinking about people who need angels I used scrap glass to practice my lathe work. A long way to go so don’t look too hard. Just experimenting on the style of figure work I want to aim for, so I let loose. Getting ideas of what I want to do even if I can’t do it yet.

The 4 pieces are about 30 cm square, figures lathe carved and the symbols sandblasted.

I won’t label them, because there can be different interpretations.




What a laugh. It looks a bit like a picture in the engravers bible. Persistence. I’m not spending as much time as I should, but getting right into it.  Feeling nearly comfortable with some wheels and have to work very hard to smarten up the edges. The flat strap wheel gives me hell. I’m adopting the idea that if I put in enough time, it will just miraculously come under control. The working method differs so much from drills that I’m taking a while to adapt. Many times I had to resist temptation to just move along a bench and tidy it up with a drill.


It’s a long time since I worked in clear, and working all sides has it’s challenges.


Tried a copy of a T.H.Benton drawing that I like. A long way to go but I’m starting to get an idea of the type of figure work I want to do, eventually.DSC_s0013

Thanks to Jim Riser I’ve had a try at setting up stone wheels. I think these were from a blade sharpener. Not to be taken too seriously at this stage.

Practice time again.

Many years ago I experimented making a design that was cut in vinyl multiples by a signwriter. Sandblasted then finished of with the drill. I’ve dragged the leftovers out as a practice for the new lathe. Lots of practice needed, but the cuts are smooth and if I can get there I’m going to love this tool. Cost so much to get it to Australia I should too.

December nearly here so I will drag out the old Christmas work picture. Memories of 15 year ago.